Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Mind and Body Connection


After watching the Peterborough Corporate Run and Relay Race on Saturday with a friend I started to think about the way I feel when I run. I came to the decision that I feel like a tiger; at peace in the jungle moving swiftly through the trees, ready to strike at any moment. It makes me feel centered and in control of everything around me and everything inside of me. In a way you could say I use it  as a form of meditation.


The following Monday in my Lifestyle Coaching class we learned about mind and body connection:
  • How it is used to enhance the mind’s capacity in assisting the body to do what it needs to do;
  • Why some people don't partake in mind/body connection exercises and; 
  • What are some strategies to help people partake.  

Sounds boring to some people I know, but knowing this could be really beneficial to someone looking to do something different, so bare with me.

So you want to know why it's good for you? Well....it decreases anxiety, decreases pain, enhances sleep, strengthens your immune system, enhances the ability to heal, and increases your sense of control and well-being.  It can also improve flexibility, strength, posture and balance, along with coordination, stress management and focus.

ALL GOOD THINGS RIGHT?

Why don't people do this more often? 

Lack of money, time, education, professional resources, awareness and interest.

Now forget all of those barriers and focus on how you can get around that..

Time management, support from others, professional support, educational strategies, motivational strategies, and more importantly research. You have the resources right at your finger tips. Go ahead, go to Google and type in, "Mind and Body Exercises".

If you are looking for something different in your workouts—exercise that will engage your body and mind and make you feel like a peaceful tiger then maybe this could be something for you.

Here are a few things that can maybe kick start your research even further: visualization, yoga, pilates, nia, martial arts, tai chi, dance, music, prayer, meditation, support groups and cognitive-behavioral therapy.

All very useful and fun!

Don't be afraid to leave a comment and ask questions about this subject. 
I am full of answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment