Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Being Thankful

Given that Thanksgiving is this weekend and it seems to be the only thing crowding my mind today I thought, "Why not blog about it?"

For the past five years on this holiday I haven't had a Thanksgiving Day with my family.
I've had them with friends families, but never my own.

My dad works in another province and only comes home once every 3-4 months. My sister lives four hours away and my Mom doesn't want to make a big meal if no one is going to be there.

The only time we all seem to come together is Christmas.

I'm not complaining. I am very thankful for a couple of things in this situation:
  •          Those that let me join in their families celebrations. They never make me feel left out and it's a really great experience to see what other families do.
  •          When my family does come together it's a bigger deal than normal because we missed everyone so much.

A lot of people would look at my situation as a sad thing, but it isn't when you take a step back and look at the big picture as you can see. I want to encourage you to look at something in your life that may seem grim but turns out to be the complete opposite. I also want to encourage you to make a list of all the things you are thankful for, whether it is just a mental list or something you write down.


To help you with this list I will provide you with a small list of my own.
When you make the list pause and reflect on each thing.
It should make you really happy and want to smile when you think about it.

  •         My parents - If it weren't for them, I wouldn't be half the woman I am today.
  •         My friends – We share the best memories that leave me rolling on the floor laughing.
  •         My sense of sight, hearing, touch, smell, taste – I get to see the colors of life. I get to hear the voices of my loved ones. I get too feel the hands of my loved ones. I get to smell and taste all the food I love.
  •         My speech – Allowing me to express myself.
  •         My health - It enables me to do what I want to do.
  •         My legs - They let me walk, run, swim and play the sports I love.
  •         My mind - Allows me to think, to store memories, and to create new solutions.
  •         My school and teachers - These have provided me with an environment to learn and grow.
  •         My fears – So I know there are opportunities for growth.
  •         Music - For lifting my spirits when I'm down and for filling my life with more love.
  •         Kind strangers – Brightening up my days when I least expect it.
  •         Heartbreaks - This has helped me mature and become a better person.



1 comment: